Friday, August 2, 2013

Day 1: Shalom!

Shalom from Israel! After a hard 10.5 hour flight, I finally made it to the Holy Land! I have been up a full 29 hours now and am just getting ready to head to bed. But before I do, I thought I would post an update for all of you who are kind enough to be following me back at home.

Once in Israel we started off the day going to a place called Neot Kedumim, which is a project designed to show what the physical setting of the Bible would have looked like. We were not able to spend a lot of time at this location, but it was amazing to see all the different types of plants and animals. From there we headed over to Caesarea where we were able to see King Herod's harbor beach and palace ruins. I was able to see a 2,000 year old Roman amphitheater, as well as the Mediterranean. It was so powerful to be standing in the exact location discussed in Acts 10 and where Paul went before Agrippa before being sent to Rome.

After Caesarea we went to Carmel Mountain where Elijah built an altar before the Lord and defeated the priests of Baal. It was amazing to be up on top of the mountain and look at the amazing view and know that Elijah at one point had been there and seen the exact same view. As I was looking down on what's known as the Valley of Armageddon, it finally hit me: I'm in Israel!

So, after a lovely Shabbat dinner at my hotel overlooking the Sea of Galilee, I am slowly seeing the Bible come to life for me in a way I've never experienced before. Now when I read about Paul In Caesarea, I can actually picture the place in my mind. I can look out my hotel window in awe knowing I am seeing the very place where Jesus Christ placed his feet. I can understand so much better now that I've seen the Sea of Galilee why the apostles were afraid of getting caught in the storm. It is truly amazing to see not only what God created, but to see the very land He came to in order to die for my sins.

Thank you all for your continued prayer and support--believe me they are felt. I apologize for my lack of pictures, I promise I will post lots more as soon as I get a decent internet connection (That may not be until I get back though.) But, I have included a picture of me at Carmel Mountain.

Since in Hebrew it means both hello and goodbye, I will leave you again with , "Shalom!"

No comments:

Post a Comment