Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 11: There's no place like home...

As I sit here looking at the beautiful morning in New Mexico, I am amazed at how much my home state reminds me of Israel. The striking sunrises, the diverse landscape, and the beautiful scenery. It's such a blessing because in a way, I now don't have to look at my pictures to be reminded of my trip, I can just look out my front window.

I want to apologize for being so slow in getting this last post up--but after a grueling 36 hour trip back to New Mexico, I have been battling major jet lag, on top of nursing a nasty cold I picked up while overseas. But, I'd like to review my last day in Israel with all of you before I officially sign off on my adventure.

Day 11 was a long one because we started off at 7 a.m. and ended flying out of Tel Aviv at 12:45 a.m. But it was well worth it. We first went to Israel's Independence Hall in Tel Aviv, and I was able to see pictures of what Israel looked like in 1948. It is truly astonishing to see the transformation from nothing but sand dunes to the now bustling city of Tel Aviv. Israel has planted over 250 million trees since 1948, something that I still am not able to fully grasp. In New Mexico, there are certainly places you go and know that the trees you are looking at have been planted by a human hand. But in Israel, essentially every tree you look at has been hand-planted. It's pretty astonishing if you stop and think about it.

After Independence Hall we headed over to a hospital in Tel Aviv that hosts a program called "Save a Child's Heart." The mission of this organization is to find children born with life-threatening heart abnormalities and bring them to Israel for an operation. Each operation costs the hospital about $10,000, but the children's families don't pay a cent. It's an amazing place to visit, and being able to see these children who would have most likely died by the age of 4 but are now given their lives back is truly touching. I was able to go to the house where the children stay before and after their surgeries, and was so happy to see how God is working in the lives of these amazing kids. I got to meet a beautiful Ethopian little girl, who was waiting to have her surgery within the next couple of weeks. To see the children who have already had their surguries running around the yard, smiling and laughing, is a heartwarming experience.

After "Save a Child's Heart," we all went to the Tel Aviv market for lunch, and then had a free afternoon before our flight home. I walked the Mediterranean one more time, and took a little time to reflect on all that I'd seen and learned on this trip. Overall, it is an experience I will never forget. I know that one day I will be telling my grandchildren all about my trip to Israel with CUFI. The Bible is now so much more real to me because I am able to picture a lot of the places mentioned in my head whenever I read about them. It is my wish that each and every one of you gets to experience Israel at some point--it will change your life. However, I want to remind you all again that it doesn't take a trip such as mine to impact your relationship with the Lord. The biggest thing I learned on this trip is how much our Father loves us. It is a deep, compassionate, never-ending love, and He longs to be in a daily relationship with us. For me, that's what this trip to Israel was all about--learning more about my Father and deepening my walk with Him.

I am excited to be home, and I welcome any questions you all have for me. I know that some of you have tried to leave comments on my blog and it hasn't worked, but please feel free to shoot me and email at any time! If I get enough of the same questions I could always do another "Q&A" type blog. :)  Love you all, thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers throughout my trip. They were truly felt, and made an impact. Blessings to you all!

Picture: "Save a Child's Heart" (large left, top & middle). Independence Hall (bottom two)

No comments:

Post a Comment