Sunday, August 4, 2013

Day 3: Politics

Wow... what a day! I had such an adventure that it is impossible to put down on paper all that I've experienced. However, I will do my best to sum it up here.

I started off the day going to Mt. Bental in the Golan Heights. From the peak we were able to see the Syrian border and actually hear tank fire from the Syrian conflict. It was extremely sobering to be only 15 miles away from the fight. Being on top of Mount Bental really showed me why this spot is so coveted a location. You can see everything... Even me with virually no knowledge of military strategy was able to see how incredible a vantage point this location is. At this stop I was able to go in an old underground bunker built in the 70s, and it was slightly frightening to think of actually having to take shelter in a bunker during a real threat.

My next stop was Caesarea Philippi--probably my favorite location so far on this trip. We had a lovely Sunday sermon right next to the river underneath the shade of all the beautiful trees. This location is where Jesus asked His apostles who people said He was and Peter responded "You are the Christ." It was amazing to be in the place where you knew Christ had stood. At this location I was also able to see Agrippa's palace ruins.

Now for the most interesting stop of the day. After thinking I could not possibly beat the wonder of seeing the Syrian border, we headed over the the Lebanon border to meet with the IDF soldiers patrolling the area. I was able to give two of the IDF guys NMSU tshirts (Go Aggies!) and talk for quite awhile one-on-one with a tank commander there. THEN (my favorite part) the entire group went to the Lebanon-Israel border fence with the IDF and planted a kiwi tree right on the border within view of the Hezbollah watch-tower on the hill above us. It was scary and incredible knowing that Hezbollah terrorists were watching you support, laugh, and talk with the IDF soldiers they so hate. (By the way, the IDF thought it was great and loved every bit of it.) We then went down the road to see the tanks and one of the tank drivers then taught us how to say "Fire the Canons!" in Hebrew. We all shouted that as someone from CUFI took a video of us in front of the tank. It was a wonderful experience, and amazing to get to talk with these young men face to face who are so bravely defending their country.

My last stop of the day was kayaking on the Jordan River (yes...that's right). I love kayaking to begin with, and being able to do so down the Jordan was so much fun. It was beautiful and the water was a welcome refreshment at the end of a long day.

Even though I had a lot of fun, today taught me that I need to be praying for the Middle East more. It is truly saddening to see all these people who hate Israel and America and will do anything to see us killed. Please remember not only the brave young men and women serving in the IDF, but our own troops as well. It is because of brave and honorable people such as them that we are able to truly call ourselves free.

Quick side-note: I will not have internet tomorrow because I will be staying overnight in a Bedouin camp in the desert. But I will write all about it as soon as I can!

Picture: At the Syrian border (top left & middle), Meeting with the IDF (top right, middle left, bottom pictures), Hezbollah watchtower (bottom right), Caesarea Philippi (middle right)

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful updates Kaite - isn't it amazing how God's Word really comes to life when you actually see for yourself these places that we read about! I remember being amazed at how even the food was a new experience. We continue to pray for you & this amazing opportunity you've been blessed with! K & T

    ReplyDelete